Thursday, October 18, 2012

Self Publishing ≠ Rejection

The underlying myth of self-publishing seems to be this: the only writers who self-publish are those writers who have been rejected by publishers and must resort to another means (any other means!) to get published. I, for one, would like to dispel this myth. I am a publisher-free self-publisher. There. I've said it. My secret is out.

My four books--available on Amazon--have never been submitted for representation or publication. I don't have a stack of rejection letters (no, not one!) because I've never offered my books and stories up to an agent or publisher for vetting or review. I've never tied my dreams of success to the whims and wishes of someone else. I've never turned over control of my destiny to someone who cares not a whit for my personal success but is responsible for the success or failure of a company (or a career) not connected to me. This is not to say that if an offer to work with a publisher came down the pike that I would run away in terror, but I would have to think long and hard about what signing on the dotted line would mean to me, to my books, and to my ability to continue to live my own dream.

Every day I am confronted with the prejudice of people who believe that having the support of a publisher is the only path to validation as a writer. In fact, more often than not, "Who's the publisher?" is the first question people ask me when I offer them a copy of my book. When I say, "Me!" a look of disdain comes into their eyes and I know what they're thinking. I'm not a mind reader but I've had this conversation so many times in the past that I know the signs by heart. No publisher = no good. Self-published = rejected.

I believe that as a society, we have been brainwashed into thinking that anything that does not come with a recognized stamp of approval must be deemed not worthy of our time or attention. As I check out blogs and comments and essays on the internet, my belief is confirmed. But as I read bad novel after bad novel sanctioned by publishers dedicated to churning out fodder to satisfy their own fabricated ideas of the wants and needs of readers, I am disgusted and amused. And then I go back to writing what I want to write, what comes naturally to me, and what feels right for me. And then I self-publish.

My dreams may never come true. I may spend the rest of my life self-publishing book after book and never attain the readership to which I aspire. I may break down and decide to offer up my soul for inspection and approval. Who knows what may come in the days and years ahead. For now, I am content to write and work toward dispelling the myth that only rejection leads to self-publishing. And I will remember the words of Abileen Clark from The Help despite my lack of letters be they acceptance or rejection: You is kind. You is smart. You is important. And I am a writer, a good one, with or without a publisher.



6 comments:

  1. Ran into your blog from LinkedIn writing group. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colleen, I am new to blogging but not new to writing. I've read some of your posts and agree that finding a publisher is not the main purpose. I have found that my writing is a catharsis for me where I can expose my feelings in words that no one else has to see. I think for me just putting the pen to the paper is where it begins. And, getting a positive response from family and friends helps to keep my confidence up. Here is my blog at denaaruta.com. See what you think. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you. I think a lot of us are doing this. We're skipping the submission process altogether in favor of greater control and freedom over our work. And I believe times a slowly changing. Sure there has been a lot of crap put out through self-pubbing, but the quality work is rising to the surface and the stigma is dying. I feel like I get more flack from traditionally published writers than from readers. Readers don't seem to care as much as long as they have a quality story in front of them. I just put out my first novelette for my vampire series--2 more are almost ready to go and the first novel will be early next year--and I decided long before release that I was not going to submit but would self-pub instead. I think as long as we do things professionally with learning the craft, editing, formatting, and cover design, we can stand with any of the traditionally published work out there--and may even be better than some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's fantastic to read what I've been thinking for the last few years. It's made my day Colleen. I have read some dreadful novels over the years and wondered how they ever got published by big publishing houses. Readers love to be entertained and if the story is great they will overlook and forgive an occasional error. I would.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    I like to read this post because I am one of those people who eager to have book self published and I already did. Thank you for writing such inspiring post.

    ReplyDelete